Saturday 25 February 2012

Period Wedding Dresses

The project I am currently working on is period wedding dresses. There's an exhibition of wedding dresses in Huddersfield that I'm making wedding dresses for. The exhibition is to celebrate the Queens Diamond Jubilee, so my project has a royal theme. I looked at royal wedding dresses from paintings and photos and I chose to make the wedding dress worn by Princess Charlotte and the one worn by Maria de Medici.

The dress worn by Maria has a beautiful detailed cut and will challenge me to make. The one worn by Charlotte is very detailed with textiles which will be interesting to make.

I am currently pattern cutting but I will be making a shift, corset, fathingale, petticoat, bodice, skirt and a ruff for Maria and I will be making a shift, corset, dress and manteau for Charlotte.

Wedding of Maria de Medici and Henry IV of France by Jacopo Chimenti, 1600, Uffizi Gallery.


Princess Charlotte returning from her marriage to Prince Leopold in 1816

No comments:

Post a Comment